Blog Archive

Saturday, December 09, 2006

Get Glenn Beck off the air...

In a cable news world filled with demogauges it's difficult to particuarlly stand out as something inhuman, unreasonable, and offensive. And even following up the putrid Nancy Grace, Beck has stood out as perhaps the worst person on TV. Something of a poor mans Bill O'Reilly, Beck has stooped to lows even Bill wouldn't go to.
In fact Bill has an, er...talent, by implying extreme views, while not really saying them. Beck on the other hand has said stuff like this, from a recent interview with newly elected U.S. Rep. Keith Ellison (D-Minn.), a Muslim: "Sir, prove to me that you are not working with our enemies." This has garnered a fair amount of criticism, but not nearly enough. But that's just the tip of the iceberg. Here's an excerpt from his radio show, which, surprise, is on clearchannel:
"All you Muslims who have sat on your frickin' hands the whole time and have not been marching in the streets and have not been saying, 'Hey, you know what? There are good Muslims and bad Muslims. We need to be the first ones in the recruitment office lining up to shoot the bad Muslims in the head.' I'm telling you, with God as my witness... human beings are not strong enough, unfortunately, to restrain themselves from putting up razor wire and putting you on one side of it. When things—when people become hungry, when people see that their way of life is on the edge of being over, they will put razor wire up and just based on the way you look or just based on your religion, they will round you up. Is that wrong? Oh my gosh, it is Nazi, World War II wrong, but society has proved it time and time again: It will happen."

Now, you may say that's talk radio, it's pretty tame for talk radio...well this was on his TV program a few weeks later:

"
Since 9/11, Americans have gotten so fed up with the "yes, but" Muslims. The "yes, but" Muslims are the ones who show up on talkshows and in the media and say, "Yes, terrorism is bad, but"—and then they go through a list of reasons on why we should try and sympathize with people who fly planes into buildings.... If, God forbid, there's another attack, we won't have anymore patience for the "yes, buts." The Muslim community better find a spokesman who isn't a "yes, but" Muslim. They shouldn't even understand the word "but," because if they don't, when things heat up, the profiling will only get worse, and the razor wire will be coming. You want the profiling to stop? Then, here's an idea. Stop murdering innocent people. Stop excusing the people who do. You do that for a while, and I guarantee you won't have any more problems at the airports. Stop blowing stuff up and the world just might be your oyster. Otherwise, it's going to be like that movie, The Siege. You remember that movie? The Muslims will see the West through razor wire if things don't change."

In other shows he has said:"
you know it took me about a year to start hating the 9-11 victims' families? Took me about a year."

or this: I'm thinking about killing Michael Moore, and I'm wondering if I could kill him myself, or if I would need to hire somebody to do it. No, I think I could. I think he could be looking me in the eye, you know, and I could just be choking the life out.."

or even this, on Dennis Kucinich (WABC-AM, 3/16/03): "Every night I get down on my knees and pray that Dennis Kucinich will burst into flames."

What's worse is that Beck is a Mormon. As a mormon, I am deeply concerned that his racist, extreme, and let's be honest, facist views on foreign affairs portrays the church as a fanatical, intollerant, and out of touch with reality. As an American I am concerned that someone so intollerant, who is fostering and exploiting hatred to the point of murder and genocide, to further his own career, is on television. If you agree please contact CNN and tell them to get him off the air. He is an awful human being, and let's face it, he's not that great of a talk show host either.


CONTACT:
CNN/U.S. President
Jonathan Klein
Phone: 404-827-1500
Web: www.cnn.com/feedback/forms/form1.html?39



No comments: