Blog Archive

Saturday, June 16, 2007

Movie Review

Ocean’s 13

**

This time out it’s pretty well understood that Soderburgh and Co. really don’t care about any serious film making, yet then again the fun of these movies has been their refreshing disregard for contemporary blockbuster film language. However, this film, unlike the last two, is a perfect type for Vegas itself: a flash entertaining diversion, that is ultimately empty and unfulfilling. Even with a cast as great as this, the performances feel phoned in, except for Al Pacino who is surprisingly good. Any film with Al and Andy Garcia and George Clooney and Elliot Gould chewing the scenery together seemed like it would be boiling over with intensity, but this seems like an agreed upon, yet amiable, corporate sacrifice to make more difficult material.

1 comment:

Spenturion said...

I so very much want to see this. I'm one of I think maybe 4 people in the world that loved Oceans 12.

I know it wasn't a quality film, but there was something about it that was just so damn fun that I could look past its emptiness (I did the same with Spiderman 3)