Blog Archive

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Batman: Who's next: part 2

dear jesus has an interesting post that I couldn't pass up but piggybacking off of, and here's a review of what might of been if Peckinpah and Eastwood had teamed up in the 70's. Though that one's not half far fetched, Eastwood was reported to be in line to star in Darren Aronofsky's radical adaptation of Batman that was nearly made, then damned to development hell.

So, I got to thinking, jokes aside, who would I like to see make a Batman film. I mean Nolan's probably going to only make one more. But with box office records breaking, they're sure to be more, and with the success of the Dark Knight the studio's now can't make anything but a dark Batman, not like they were looking to go back to the Schumacher days anyway.

Those who know me or read this know that David Lynch is my favorite director working today, if not of all-time. But as much as I wish I could see what he would've done to The Star Wars universe with Return of the Jedi ( he turned down a personal offer from Lucas), I don't think Lynch would or should make a pulp comic book film. Though in some ways you could say he already did with Wild at Heart. Sure, he's into getting into the minds of fractured people, but his efforts are more metaphysical than procedural.

I went down a list of other names in my mind but none of them stood out, until I thought of the one person I could think of that could seriously, and might consider, making the next Batman films.


-David Cronenberg.

He's already adapted a graphic novel (A History of Violence), shown he can do a mob film, a few mad scientist film, as well as a schizophrenic detective story. And he would connect with the material on many levels. So, yes I'm talking a Batman that has the dark inverted piety of Eastern Promises, the claustrophobic psychology of Spider, the intricately demented character relationships of Dead Ringers, all existing in a viscerally patentedly strange but familiar world.
Nolan's Batman takes place during his formative years as a super hero. Cronenberg's would be the classic Batman, with a focus on his gadgets. Where does he end and the utility belt begin? Perhaps he'd even go further into Batman's future and do a post-Knightfall Batman who, with a broken back, relies even more on his inventions and technology. He'd be all sorts of wired into computers and such, and this would no doubt add to his identity problems, which would be gold for Cronenberg. Cronenberg would also address the sexual angst, and its relationship with violence, that has yet to be really addressed in any of the films. A theme he (mostly) has masterfully visited time and again in his career.
There'd be more focus on Wayne Enterprises and the industrialized modern city of Gotham, and using his surreal-naturalism, he'd be able to get away with using some of the more fantastic super villains. I mean could you image the transformation of someone like Poison Ivy or Mr Freeze done with Cronenberg style make up (ala The Fly)?

And Viggo Mortensen could play a pretty decent caped crusader I bet...

No comments: