Blog Archive

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Music Spotlight


While I did my retrospective on the White Album I didn't mention that on the same day in 1968, another one of the great rock bands released arguably their best album; The Kinks Are The Village Preservation Society. Here's a video of The Kinks from 1972 performing a version of "Waterloo Sunset" which I like better than the album version (from Face to Face), and "Village Preservation Society." from the titular album. Note that Ray introduces the former track as "little known." Like nearly all rock masterpieces Preservation Society was initially a commercial failure. Recently, the film Hot Fuzz uses the album quite interestingly as a sort of extra-textual reference point.

One could, and someday I might if I get inspired to, argue that The Kinks are the greatest rock band of all-time factoring in influence, body of work, longevity, and versatility.



1 comment:

Parker said...

My brother turned me on to The Kinks about a year ago, I have have yet to look back in regret. This is far and away my favorite album of theirs...