The Greatest Debut Albums of All-Time (re: Amazon's 100 greatest debut albums)
Since I named The VU’s debut as the greatest album ever, I’ll leave it off, for variety’s sake. Also, I'll limit this to rock albums. Otherwise it'd be pretty much jazz albums. The Amazon ranking is in the parenthesis.
1. The Clash, The Clash (38) As perfect and essential as any record, I mean White Man in Hammersmith, Janie Jones, Complete Control, these are some of the best rock songs ever. The Sex Pistols may have made more noise, but this was the album that was more influential on American post-punk, underground bands, hardcore, and new wave bands.
2. Marquee Moon, Television (48) The Greatest guitar album of all-time.
3. The Stone Roses (NA) The most incredible pop record since Odessey and Oracle. Named the greatest album of all-time by NME in their last poll. And one can certainly make a case for it.
4. Pink Flag, Wire (49)The last great punk album and the first modern alternative rock album.
5. Never mind The Bullocks, It’s the Sex Pistols, The Sex Pistols (41)Not just a rock album, this is one of the few musical recordings which impacted art in general in the latter half of the 20th century.
6. Surfer Rosa, The Pixies (NA)
7. The Doors, The Doors (32)
8. Faust, Faust (NA)
9. The Modern Dance, Pere Ubu (NA)
10. The Piper At the Gates of Dawn, Pink Floyd (6)
11. Entertainment, Gang of Four (54)
12. Unkown Pleasures, Joy Division (5)
13. Funeral, Arcade Fire (10)
14. Are You Experienced? The Jimi Hendrix Experience (33)
15. Talking Heads ’77 (28)
16. The Smiths, The Smiths (12)
17. Mr. Tambourine Man, The Byrds (NA)
18. The Modern Lovers, The Modern Lovers (51)
19. Is This it? The Strokes (83)
20. The Chirpin’ Crickets, Buddy Holly and the Crickets (37)
21. Songs of Leonard Cohen (NA)
22. #1 Record, Big Star (100)
23. The Gilded Palace of Sin, The Flying Burrito Brothers (NA)
24. Definitely, Maybe, Oasis (NA)
25. The Who Sings My Generation (19)
26. Safe as Milk, Captain Beefheart (NA)
27. Wanna Meet the Scruffs? The Scruffs (NA)
28. Weezer (84)
29. Damned damned damned, The Damned (NA)
30. Marshall Crenshaw (1982) (NA)