Blog Archive

Friday, May 08, 2009

Belated Summer Movie Preview

So I'm putting off writing a paper to put this up...here are the films I'm looking forward to this summer. One thing I have noticed, is that this summer is heavily front loaded with the big movies. I'm not sure why, it seems they'd want to string out the bigger films, but anyway here are 10 films I'm looking forward to seeing the most:


May 15:
The Brother's Bloom http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi457245465/
Rian Johnson wrote Brick and that alone mean enough for you to see this. That film was clever by about a half, but man can this kid write. And his style seems perfect for a screwball caper comedy with perfect cast.

May 22: Terminator Salvation

I was soooooo skeptical about this project. I think most everyone was, which was why McG basically went on a goodwill tour this spring making his case for his vision of the film. I actually liked T3, which puts me in the minority. But this looks pretty awesome, and apparently the film must have convinced Linda Hamilton and Arnie, because whatever McG showed them was enough to get them to participate in small ways after the film had been shot.

May 29: Drag Me To Hell http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi3899917081/
Basically this is Sam Raimi's first real horror film in nearly 30 years. When directors who revolutionize a type of picture return to that style it almost universally disappoints. For every Romero film (his last two have been brilliant) there's a new release by Argento that just baffles you. The movie actually, from what I've seen, doesn't look that good. But I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the man who to me will always be the director of The Evil Dead.

June 12th:
Moon (Limited)http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi2645557785/
Directed by David Bowie's son and starring one of the most underappreciated actors working today (Sam Rockwell), this lo-fi sci-fi thriller supposedly has one crazy twist after the first act, and I just hope that trailer didn't give it away.

July 1:
Public Enemies http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi3372221209/
The cast, the fact that its a Michael Mann film, and I absolutely love, love, love that he's shooting on digital.


July 10
Bruno
http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi391709465/
Borat may have been the funiest film ever. This doesn't look quite a amazing, but crazy nonethelesss, and you have to consider how much harder it would have been to make.

The Hurt Locker
http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2755855129/
The buzz is that this is the first good Iraq War film, and it looks great. From Katheryn Bigelow, one vastly underrated director who may have finally gotten decent material to work with.


July 17:
500 Days of Summer (Limited)http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi1728185113/
The first film from music video director Marc Webb (yes, and he wrote the pink panther 2 if that makes you feel any worse) looks really interesting. And it doesn't hurt that probably the two of my favorite actors play love interests in this film: Joseph Gordon-Leavitt and Zooey Deschanel.


July 31:
Funny People
Judd Apatow's made only two films, despite the fact that he's been responsible for pretty much a comedy per month the last 3 years or so. But this looks like his best film to date and we forget that Sandler can act when the right situation presents itself, and this looks to be it.

21 August
Inglourious Basterds
Any time QT releases a film its an event, and there's a reason for that. Love him or hate him nobody else makes them like he does (though so many have tried). This has been in the works for years. I don't know if I like what I've seen so far, but the last two things he's done (KB Vol 2 and Deathproof) has been, in my opinion some of his best work as a director (note: director, as opposed to writer).

1 comment:

whitney said...

I caught Moon at Sundance and loved it. It maybe wasn't the best movie I saw, but it was one of the most fun.

-whitney